Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Awakening


Tuesday. April 14, 2009. The day my son was to awake from his drug induced slumber. After a week of medications, IV drips, PICC's and immobilization, Caleb woke up. I expected so much. I thought "waking" up meant that he was going to be a normal infant. I set myself up for disappointment.

The day started with me getting ready at 8am so I can head to Dell and wait by his bedside...I wanted to be the first person he saw when he woke up. I immediately headed to the hospital after my morning routine. Carla, our favorite nurse from St. David's visited Caleb and took me out to lunch. An hour later, I saw the ENT surgeon Dr. Sawyer. Right on schedule, he performed the first trach change. I was ordered to put on gloves and assisted him the entire time! It wasn't the best experience, but it sure was very educating. 3 hours after Dr. Sawyer ordered to d/c the paralytic med, Caleb twitched! It's the most movement he's made since the surgery.

Paul was so excited, he left work early. When he got to Caleb's room, we observed more twitching. After dinner, we excitedly returned to Dell. We gave Caleb a sponge bath. I know he loved it. It was his first in a week! We observed more twitching and we felt elated every time he twitched and attempted to open his eyes.

We knew that was probably the most action we were going to see. After his bath, we hung out for a few hours and just spent some family time with our little man.

Wednesday will definitely be the day! I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment